Google and the other search engines will always have a way to eliminate low quality websites from their search results. This is why the search engines are always updating their ranking algorithms over and over again, in an effort to purge those low quality sites from cluttering their results with low quality or irrelevant sites. This is in the best interests of everyone, except for those who are involved in marketing such sites. By purging low quality sites from the SERPs, their users will receive more satisfying searches, and they will learn to trust a search engine more if they can always get relevant and quality results. In the end, everybody wins.
However, for webmasters, this adds a level of complication to the task of link building. Thus, they need to ensure that their link building strategies will conform to the latest rules imposed by the search engines, particularly Google. Here are ten simple link building tips to follow:
- The Quality Of Your Links Matters — Why does Google keep updating its algorithm? They update their algorithm in an attempt to get rid of spam websites that are cluttering their search results. These are websites that aren’t on the first page of the SERPs by virtue of quality and relevancy. Rather, they have found a high-ranking place in the SERPs due to black hat methods that may involve linking strategies that are frowned upon by Google. For example, search engines no longer consider the sheer number of backlinks to be as important as they once did. More recent search engine algorithms place more emphasis on the quality and relevancy of a site’s backlinks, rather than the quantity.
- Pump Up the Quality of Your Site — No matter how many quality backlinks that you manage to get, if the quality of your website is poor, people aren’t going to look beyond the first page, and they are unlikely to return. For instance, let’s imagine that you have successfully attracted people to your website but, since the content of your site is lacking, or the site is poorly put together, people left your website immediately after viewing the first page. That is wasted traffic. Yes, you need to build quality backlinks for your site, but you also need to build quality content for your website, as well.
- Follow The “Sharing Is Caring” Principle — Encourage people to share the contents of your website, with attribution, of course. In this way, assuming that your site has content that people would be interested in using, you can get a lot of backlinks for your website automatically and naturally, with very little effort on your part. Your readers will do all the work in spreading your backlinks in various places online. Plus, they are likely to check back with your site often.
- Watch the Competition — Have you managed to build some good quality backlinks for your site? Your job is not done yet. Take a look at your competitor’s links as well. When you conduct searches on the keywords that your target visitors are likely to use in order to find your site, which sites appear before your own site. These are your competition. Unless you can outdo them, you will be unable to take the top position in the search engine results. So, check your competitor’s backlinks data in order to really set yourself up at the top position in SERP. Sites that are linking to your competitors may be willing to link to your site as well.
- Use Your Brand as Anchor Text — When a large percentage of your backlinks use keywords as anchor text, your site may be flagged as spam, so it is best to use your brand in most of your link-building strategies. This will help to strengthen your brand within your niche, which will strengthen your site’s authority. However, link diversity is also important so it is okay, and you should, use other anchor texts as well.
- Use Web Directories — A lot of people have set themselves up as SEO experts, in blogs and on SEO forums, offering their services to help you build backlinks for your site. Once you engage the services of an SEO firm, you have lost a large degree of control over what may be done to your site’s reputation, so be careful of who you hire. While there is a place for reputable SEO professionals, many of those who offer such services are not qualified as such. If you are marketing your new website, or trying to bring more traffic to an old one, be smart. Rather than sinking your money into hiring a so-called SEO guru, submit your site to some well chosen web directories. Remember that quality is better than quantity, however, and do not submit your site to junk directories. Reputable web directories can give your site link authority and targeted traffic, delivering tangible results from your link-building efforts.
- Use Niche Directories — You can use niche directories to further strengthen your backlink profile. Directories that specialize in the topics relevant to that of your website will be very important in establishing relevant backlinks. When your site is included on a site or a page that has content relevant to the topic of your site, or when it is listed among other sites within your niche, that is a relevant backlink. Because the number of potential site listings is much smaller than that of a general directory, the cost for submitting a site to a niche directory might seem high, but it may well be worth it.
- Use Good Content Marketing Strategy — Rather than placing your links randomly, it is better to use a good content marketing strategy in your backlink building. Create good quality content which can be published on good quality websites within your niche, which may include discussion forums, article directories, and video-sharing sites. Many article directories are low-quality SEO scams, however, so be careful. While forum threads are generally tagged “nofollow,” quality posts on popular forums within your niche can bring direct traffic, and even “nofollow” links can lend authority to your site.
- Partner With Blogs in Your Niche — You may be able to get an opportunity to be a regular guest blogger on top blogs within your niche. This can garner consistent backlinks from top quality sites, which will help your own site’s position in the SERPs, and establishing it as an authority site. Be careful that your link does not appear to be spam, however.
- Allow Users to Generate Content — The heart of every website is its content, and if you can update your website content regularly, people will be inclined to visit it more often, and the search engines will index it more regularly. Giving your users a chance to create their own content within your website will help your website to grow quickly, allowing you to be able to build good content resources in your website, which will in turn attract more backlinks to your site.
Follow those simple link building strategies and you will be able to survive in the even more competitive battle to grab the first spot of the search engine results pages.
Other articles that may be of interest to you include: